Useful Information On Allergies To Cats
What Are Cat Allergies?
The cat allergen known as Fel d 1 is a major cat allergen and is commonly found in cat saliva. Other cat allergens which includes albumin are found in blood, urine and fur. Cat allergies are very common and allergies to cats occur in nearly 25 percent of people. One reason may be that cats are not bathed and cat allergies are more frequent than dog dander. Cats rub their saliva all over their fur, since cats groom themselves. This results in their dander spreading and allergens spreading. Even if a cat is often bathed, their natural instincts are to groom themselves.
Large amounts of cat allergen are produced mostly by non-neutered cats. In this instance the allergen tends to be somewhat under the control of hormones. Dander is airborne and can be found in places where there are no traces of cats. The dander is carried about on people who already have cats and shed about everywhere. Dander is mostly carried on clothes. Cat allergen is similar to house dust even though a cat may have never lived there.
Cat allergen causes asthma symptoms since the dander which is very small is breathed deeply into the lungs. Cat allergy therefore causes the asthma symptoms to develop more rapidly.
A Few Common Cat Allergy Symptoms
Some cat allergy symptoms caused by cat allergy are, stuffy nose, inflamed eyes, sneezing, wheezing, coughing, breathing difficulty, rash and chronic asthma. For people who are prone to cat allergies avoiding cats as a whole is the best thing. In case that is not practical, a person can use allergy shots to subside the symptoms. Cat owners may not be inclined to get rid of their pets. Instead they can follow some guidelines as mentioned below to lessen the state of cat allergies that are caused.
What Are Some Solutions To Reduce Cat Allergies?
- Bathing the cat at least twice weekly;
- Wiping the cat with a wet towel or hand towel;
- Closing the bedroom door and keeping the cat outside;
- Keeping the cat in a place where there is no carpet or replacing your carpet with quality discount hardwood flooring to reduce the places where dander and fur can hide in your home;
- Vacuuming the house frequently;
- Following guidelines on how to get rid of house dust mites;
- Using a room air filter for the bedroom and other rooms where cats like being in;
- Vacuuming upholstered furniture and steam cleaning carpets;
- Washing all bedding and curtains twice a month preferably in hot water;
- Vacuuming hard floors;
- Wiping furniture and hard surfaces with a dampened cloth. If you are going to utilize kitchen throw rugs, make sure they are machine washable so that you can easily keep them clean.
Symptoms And Prevention Of Allergies To Cats
Some people become immune to their cat allergies from their own pet. However they may still be prone to cat allergies emitted from other cats though its reaction will vary in its intensity. This is not reliable data to go with since allergies may get better or even worse with time.
Not all people who have cat allergies have visible symptoms. People have different reactions to allergies. Generally a few symptoms may appear. In case an allergy is severe, a person may succumb to a chill and fever. In such a situation a doctor must be immediately consulted with. Decongestants and antihistamines are some of the best treatments for allergies to cats. This can be made use of when a person experiences asthma symptoms or if they have an asthma attack. If a person has a blocked nasal passage and is continuously coughing they can make use of decongestants. These are taken as shots and can help in prevention of cat allergies.